With some at home preparation, you can eat delicious risotto in the backcountry. This meal is super delicious and filling. It’s become one of my favorite backpacking meals.
- Cook plain risotto using your favorite recipe, but omitting any fat (butter or oil) and cheese.
- Dehydrate your bland risotto.
- Dehydrate your favorite vegetables (we did zucchini, mushrooms, and peas).
- Combine dehydrated ingredients in a ziplock bag. One cup of dehydrated risotto and veggies makes a sizable helping for a single person.
- Add some shelf stable parmesan cheese to the bag.
On the trail:
- Combine the dehydrated ingredients with 1-2 cups of boiling water in a pot and set aside to rehydrate.
- Add more cheese if you are from Wisconsin like me and always need more cheese.